Welcome to 427 COPO Camaro
The COPO Camaro was what Chevrolet originally built to get a High Performance 427 Cubic Inch 425 Horsepower Big Block Mark IV engine into an assembly line factory Camaro. These COPO Camaros were limited production and did not show up in the official factory or showroom brochures. Most of us know about the 1969 COPO and Yenko Camaros, but the story is more interesting. These COPO Camaros were “Special High Performance Units”
The 427 COPO Camaro was built for a purpose: to Rule The Street and to compete and win at the Drag Strip.
Initially accepted by the AHRA and enventually by the NHRA, 427 COPO Camaros left their mark in Muscle Car History!
Historically, the most commonly known COPO Camaro is the Yenko Camaro, which was supervised by new car dealer / sports car racer Don Yenko. COPOs were built before and after this legendary 1969 model.
There were some additional COPO Camaros built back in 1969 which were very special Camaros. These models were powered by the all aluminum ZL1 427 engine and was even more powerful than the Yenko Camaros. Only 69 were built and sold. They were legendary performers on the street and track.
Today, Chevrolet has been offering a NEW COPO CAMARO in very limited numbers for Drag Racing Use Only!
According to Chevrolet, COPO’s second coming builds on a legacy established in 1969, when the first purpose-built Camaro drag-racing specialty car was designed to compete in the NHRA Stock Eliminator. The COPO nameplate is a nod to the Central Office Production Order system, which cunning Chevrolet dealers used to build one-of-a-kind high-performance models.
In 2011, a new COPO concept was shown at the SEMA Show. The overwhelming response inspired a special-edition production run. Engines were assembled at the Wixom Performance Build Center, where the buyer could opt to participate in the engine assembly. With national records for quarter-mile times in the 9-second range, the COPO’s
success has continued every year since the 2012 model year, with a limited run of 69 cars.
I will be providing all the info that I can on these new Camaros below:
These new COPO Camaros are available in either a normally aspirated fuel injected 427 cubic inch engine or a supercharged 350 engine both of which are based on the LSX racing engines.
I’ll be adding more pages to this site ASAP, so keep checking back for new updates!
Please Visit My Sponsors:
COPO Camaro News:
- Watch Chevy eCopo Camaro Electric Achieve 9-Second Drag Run
- There’s a Pile of Sweet Chevrolet Camaros to Watch at Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale 2019
- Watch Chevrolet eCOPO Electric Camaro Do A Smoky Burnout
- GM unveils 700-horsepower electric Camaro
- Chevrolet Camaro eCOPO unveiled as a 800-volt, 9-sec EV dragster
- Chevrolet eCOPO Camaro Concept Can Run a 9-Second Quarter Mile
- It's Back! Marking 50 Years, Chevrolet Introduces A COPO Camaro With A 427 V8
- GM's Chevrolet Debuts A 9-Second, eCOPO Camaro Electric-powered Drag Race Car In Vegas
- Automakers Deliver Some Neat Tricks and Plenty of Treats for SEMA Show
- GM unveils 700-horsepower electric Camaro and, maybe, a way to build your own
- Electric Chevrolet eCOPO Camaro only burns rubber
- Chevrolet Terrorizes Tesla With 700HP eCOPO Camaro Concept