2017 COPO Camaro
The 2017 COPO Camaro program extended the production legacy that was re-started in 2012 and based on the special-order high-performance Camaro models created in 1969 to win on the drag strip.
Chevrolet’s 2017 COPO Camaro show car — serial number 01 of 69 — was introduced and features a supercharged 350 engine, custom Weld racing wheels and a unique “anodized” concept version of the production Hyper Blue Metallic exterior color. It was sold at the Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale auction in January 2017, with proceeds to benefit the United Way.
Like the previous editions, the 2017 COPO Camaro was designed for NHRA’s Stock Eliminator classes. The production race cars were fitted with racing chassis and suspension components, including a unique solid rear axle system in place of a regular-production Camaro’s independent rear axle.
Additional details include:
Lightweight, adjustable coil-over strut front suspension
Four-link rear suspension with double-adjustable coil-over shocks, Panhard bar and stabilizer bar
Rear axle with an aluminum center section featuring a lightweight steel spool and 40-spline gun-drilled axle shafts
Lightweight, drag-race manual four-wheel disc brakes (unassisted)
Custom manual steering rack
Fuel cell with built-in high-pressure fuel pump
Unique racing wire harness
When it comes to horsepower, racers could select from a variety of supercharged and naturally aspirated LS- and LT-family engines, including a supercharged 350 (5.7L), a naturally aspirated 427 (7.0L) engine and an LT-based, direct-injected 376 (6.2L) engine. The engines were backed by an SFI-approved ATI TH400 three-speed automatic transmission.
Each COPO Camaro race car was built by hand starting with production hardware, including the same body-in-white used for production models.
Please Visit My Sponsors:
COPO Camaro News:
- New era at former Lancaster Speedway begins with Friday's season-opener
- Watch Chevy eCopo Camaro Electric Achieve 9-Second Drag Run
- There’s a Pile of Sweet Chevrolet Camaros to Watch at Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale 2019
- Watch Chevrolet eCOPO Electric Camaro Do A Smoky Burnout
- GM unveils 700-horsepower electric Camaro
- Chevrolet Camaro eCOPO unveiled as a 800-volt, 9-sec EV dragster
- Chevrolet eCOPO Camaro Concept Can Run a 9-Second Quarter Mile
- It's Back! Marking 50 Years, Chevrolet Introduces A COPO Camaro With A 427 V8
- GM's Chevrolet Debuts A 9-Second, eCOPO Camaro Electric-powered Drag Race Car In Vegas
- Automakers Deliver Some Neat Tricks and Plenty of Treats for SEMA Show
- GM unveils 700-horsepower electric Camaro and, maybe, a way to build your own
- Electric Chevrolet eCOPO Camaro only burns rubber